Saturday, May 24, 2014

There ain't going to BE any Strawberries!!...or will there?

There is a reason for the title other than the fact that yes, I did make a dish with strawberries. The story behind this one happened a few years ago when I was on summer break from high school. I woke up to my parents discussing what to have for breakfast, and they  asked
"So Chris, what would you like to eat?"
My answer was a bit vague and I said “I don’t know…maybe something with strawberries?
" My dad then looked at me slightly peeved and replied "Chris there aint going to BE ANY STRAWBERRIES" I just looked back at him incredibly lost and confused as I has no idea how to respond to that statement. Turns out later, he was meaning the availability at the farmers market as it was late July.  
To this day, my family and I still pick on my dad for that over the top reply. This is usually done in a form of a joking rejection such as “No (person) you can’t have that, and there aint gunna be any strawberries either!” 
Now that you all know that inside joke, lets get to the REAL topic: FOOOOD…..
so I woke up this morning unusually early to witness my parents and brother about to leave to work. As I sift through my family members and reach in the cabinet, there was a great disruption with my wake up routine, NO CEREAL!
My mom who noticed me hopelessly shaking a nearly empty box, mentioned “You know, you can make an egg dish!”
So, what would my 3/4 conscious mind come up with? Scrambled eggs? Omelet? Fried egg sandwich? Nope! Something complicated to satisfy a craving. yeeees!
All I felt like eating was the crepes with a strawberry, banana and nutella filling  served at the local farmers market here. Just imagining fresh fruits in warm nutella all wrapped in a gentle crepe was enough for me to do some shopping at 7:10 am. 
To start I used a simple recipe I found on allrecipes.com. This required:
1 cup of all-purpose flour 
2 eggs 
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup of water 
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of butter (melted)
the mixture should look something like this:
image
(yes, its not centered. This was before coffee,therefore,excused)
Now the allrecipes may have the flavor down, but consistancy was a bit runny. So, some research told me to “put it in for at ateast an hour” and I did exactly that. 
As I wait for my precious batter to thicken and cool, I decided to make my strawberry syrup. I originally wanted to make it just strawberries in hot maple syrup, but with the lack of maple syrup, decided to opt for a simple syrup in stead. to make simple syrup its just:
1/2 cup of water 
1/2 cup of sugar
basically equal parts sugar to water, stir and put it to a boil then turn the temp down slightly, and stir in cut strawberries as it cooks down into a nice syrup. 
After this I got my batter back out, stirred it up, and ladled it down on to  small, oiled, and hot omelet pan. In a circular motion thin out the batter as thin as you can without making a hole. about 30-40 seconds later the batter should have a nice wrinkled edge to it, to which you gently put it under the spatula until you reach the middle and flip. 
At this point I ad a tablespoon of Nutella, some chopped, fresh strawberries to one edge. my trick to folding it was to push it towards the edge and with my fingers, grab a part up from the pan and cover the filling. Then, with the spatula place, pick it up, and roll it on the plate nearby. It may not be traditional, as it looks more like a blintzes this way, but I like it like that.  I repeated this 3 times then put all the fixins back in the fridge for a later usage. drizzled some of my strawberry syrup on top and whipped cream. my end Product looked like this:
image

No comments:

Post a Comment